Stoke sub Hamdon St Mary the Virgin

A remarkable building despite being well restored by Ferriby in 1862. The core of the nave and chancel are Norman with a late 12th-century tower and a S transept a little later.

Associated with the Norman work is a wealth of stone carving - the N and S doors, three window heads, the chancel arch and, though much restored, the corbel table.

ST 482 173, in open ground E of the main village centre on S side of minor road (East Stoke) to Montacute.

Back to menu

*** outstanding